Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Word From Nickie... well, actually there will be more than one.

Hey there outside world! Nickie here. Life here has been crazy so far, but it's been wonderful. There has been a lot of laughter going around, from trying to understand the kids to trying to communicate a simple thank you to the adults. Last night Brianna, Heidi, Beth, Monna and I stumbled through a 45 minute conversation with one of the girls from the youth home, Jazmine. It was great, and really made me wish I had practiced my Spanish more over the past couple of years. It's been kinda crazy here with 25 million Americans, but we're all getting used to it.

We went and passed out fliers this morning around Pavon and then the Mision, and because I "know" Spanish (yup.. I know right?), I was put as one of the leaders, which was a little overwhelming when the two Mexican girls who were the actual leaders both start talking to me at once. But it was a lot of fun. We were the first group finished, which was just awesome. We got to hang out with Amy while we waited for the rest of the groups. Then we went to the Mision and handed out fliers there.

The kids at Gorgorron have finally started getting used to us being there, which is kinda sad 'cause tomorrow is our last day there. But they're finally trying to talk to us and we're desperately trying to understand them, let alone talk back. I forgot how fast everyone here talks. We had a couple of girls who are probably about 12 or 13 earlier asking for galletos (cookies) and Tang, and they almost had us fooled until I figured out that they were the first group to get them. It was fairly amusing trying to communicate to them to go play, and then letting the other American leaders know that they can't have any as they made their rounds. Nathan was hit on by a couple of girls... we were hanging out after we finished eating the most AMAZING chicken you will ever have, and there were 3 girls all sitting together looking at us and laughing and talking. Ramone, one of the guys at the Youth Home and Brigido's nephew, starts smirking and looks up at Nathan. "They say it's a shame you're so handsome" he said to Nate. We all start laughing and Nathan replies "Yo se! Yo se! Esta una problema!" ("I know! I know! It's a problem!"), which makes the girls collapse into giggles. Then, just to make things even better, he puffs out his chest and says "Yo soy el Guapo!" ("I am the handsome!"). Ramone nearly spit out his Fanta he was laughing so hard. So, now Nathan has his own fan club.

We started playing soccer with the kids, and it was kicked out of the field and into a HHHUUUGGGEEE puddle. And when I mean huge, I mean.. huge. Anywhosits, this kid named Pedro (who is a beast), jumps out into the middle of the puddle on a rock about the size of one of his feet, grabs the ball and launches it back into the field. It was pretty legit. 

We started a tradition and had Brianna "kiss" a cactus (but unlike Breanna Smith, she didn't ACTUALLY kiss it... however, she did fall into the cactus, twice). Heidi joined in, and I'm pretty sure the Mexicans all think we're crazy.. which, we are, so it's okay. We chased kids around, played an equivalent to "Mr. Bear, Are You Awake?", jumped rope, played soccer, took a million pictures... we got to Gorgorron around 4 and didn't leave until close to 8. We came back and had devo's, which has left a lot on my mind, but that's okay. It wouldn't be a mission trip without having at least one thing to ponder over.. I've been journaling every day, which is really nice for 2 reasons -  1; I can actually process things and 2; I'll actually remember more than 5 major things that will happen.

And now, it's 11pm and we're putting together 200 bags of candy for the kids tomorrow.. so I should go and help. Keep checking in, and I'll see ya all when we come back!

Adios amigos!
~Nickie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nickie! I miss you! And reading your blog was like reading a text from you, it's so real. lol I'm so happy you're having an awesome time!

    Nate.. that is the funniest thing I've ever read. I have the greatest respect for you now :)

    I love you Nic. Glad you're having fun.. now.. when are you coming home? :p

    ReplyDelete